Digital marketing is a broad term. The days of flashing banners and spam e-mails are over. Nowadays we have a selection of advanced online marketing tools that can help us with advertising on the internet. Below, you will find the ones that are the most popular.
What is digital marketing?
We can define digital marketing as:
Digital marketing is a strategic activities aiming at the company’s or brand’s communication and promotion on the internet.
Here are some examples of the above-mentioned activities:
- Setting up a website.
- Positioning in Google’s search engine to appear on the first search result page for a given keywords.
- Paid advertising in Google search engine. It is not just the sponsored links but also the product ads, ads on Google Maps, etc.
- Advertising through GDN (Google Display Network).
- Remarketing, i.e. targeted ads that are displayed to people who have already visited our website.
- Advertising on Comparison Shopping Services.
- Creating newsletters and e-mail marketing campaigns.
- Building a community on Facebook, Instagram, LinkedIn or other social media platforms.
- Paid social media advertising.
- Writing blog posts that promote our business.
- Video blogging.
- Cooperating with bloggers, social media influencers etc.
Of course, there are many more online marketing tools and options to promote your offers on the internet. We mentioned only those that are the most common and frequent in day-to-day usage.
What is the difference between e-marketing and traditional marketing?
There are 5 main differences between e-marketing and traditional marketing:
- In digital marketing, customers are not passive. They can freely comment our actions and participate in content creation, sharing their data, photos and ideas. We call this user-generated content.
- Digital marketing campaign effectiveness is measurable, thanks to data from Google Analytics and other tools.
- In digital marketing, we have a lot of knowledge about our customers. We don’t know their names and surnames, but we may know how old they are, how many men and women are among them, and what interests them. We can also target and personalize our adverts.
- Digital campaigns can be easily launched in many markets and many languages simultaneously. However, it is worth mentioning that each market is different and has unique specifics.
- Digital marketing is usually also cheaper than traditional marketing. All because you don’t have to print your ads or rent physical place for them.
Who can benefit from digital marketing?
Since the number of internet users is still growing, it is important for every company to be present online, even for offline, traditional businesses.
If you don’t want to set up neither a company website nor a business social media fan page, you should at least create a business profile on Google My Business. It will help your customers find your company address, phone number and opening hours. Your company will be also visible on Google Maps.
However, in most cases it is worth doing more than the minimum – creating a company website and choosing at least one social media channel to promote products or services. The rest of the activities can be introduced gradually afterwards.
All above the above suggestions apply mostly to traditional offline business. If you plan to build an online store or sell your services online, you should act more comprehensively. In this case, digital marketing is a necessity.
However, that doesn’t mean that after building an online store, you should immediately launch campaigns on Google Ads, Facebook, set up remarketing and newsletters. All these activities should be introduced gradually based on your marketing promotion strategy.
An example action plan may look as follows:
- We start from researching and understanding our target audience and their needs. At this point, it is worth thinking about keywords and phrases that our customers may type into Google search. Some tools, like Answer the Public or Ahrefs can be helpful.
- Now, we set up an online store. While preparing the website’s content, we should incorporate keywords that we found during the research phase. There is a lot of information about SEO writing on the internet – it is worth reading some of them.
- In the next step, we add a newsletter to our website. Thanks to that, we could regularly send e-mails to our customers. To get more newsletter subscribers, it is worth offering them a free subscription gift. It could be a promo code or e-book with some useful tips.
- Now, it is time to focus on creating our first fan page on one of the popular social media platforms, for example on Instagram. We should not only focus on engaging content, but also encourage interactions between community members – for example, we could ask them questions, create surveys etc. Of course, you can be present on more than one social media platform, but remember that the way you communicate with your audience should fit the type of platform you are on.
- Then, we set up first paid campaigns on Google Ads and Instagram. We start with small budgets to verify whether the advertising channels that we chose will be profitable.
- Promoting a new website could take a lot of time. To increase sales, we add our products to comparison shopping service like Ceneo.pl. This platform is visited every day by millions of users, so there we have a better chance to gain new customers than on our own site. You can find more information about advertising on the comparison shopping services here.
Of course, with time, your marketing strategy can become more complex, but you shouldn’t immediately throw yourself in at the deep end. Just work in stages and closely observe the effects of your efforts. You don’t have to mimic our strategy exactly – that was only an example.
How to improve your digital marketing? Which tools can be useful?
As our marketing activities become more complex and time-consuming, it is worth to consider their optimization. Firstly we recommend analysing the efficiency of each marketing channel once more using Google Analytics’ attribution models. This way, you will learn with channels are the most and the least effective.
It is also worth trying different tools that may improve and optimize digital marketing in your company. The choice is huge, so we present some of our favourites:
- Hootsuite – with this tool you can manage multiple social media campaigns from one platform.
- Brand 24 – using this tool you will be able to monitor all mentions of your brand on the internet. You can also receive notifications about keywords that you may want to follow. This way, you can easily find interesting discussions related to your brand.
- All Hashtag – on this page you will find many ideas for Instagram hashtags.
- SpyFu – it is a great place to do competitive analyses. With SpyFu you can download their PPC keywords.
If you run multiple product campaigns, we also recommend you to use Feedink system. It will help you effectively optimize and manage all your product feeds. It creates product files adjusted to technical specifications of hundreds of integrated publishing partners. You also don’t need to worry about updating your feed – all will be done automatically, saving you time.